This hands-on workshop is aimed at providing junior trainees with an improved understanding and proficiency in the basic techniques required for laparosopic bariatric surgery. This would also be of benefit to General Practitioners and Resident Medical Officers in the role of surgical assistant.
This workshop aims to improve surgical safety, operative confidence and operative efficiency in a way that cannot be provided by surgical supervision or by other simulated environments.
Sophisticated bench top simulations with a high degree of similarity to human tissue will allow participants to operate in a realistic simulated environment.
Participants will improve their knowledge of:
- Application of energy sources
- Gastric mobilisation
- Calibration tube utilisation
- Endoscopic stapling techniques
Surgical teaching will include:
- Model of bariatric care - selection and preparation
- Perioperative ward care
- Patient positioning and port placement
- Placement of laparoscopic band
- Removal of laparoscopic adjustable gastric band
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Perioperative management
The workshop will include interactive sessions with expert faculty discussing case scenarios including difficult cases and application of evidence-based management.
- All meals and refreshments including lunch
- Limited places to maximise practical learning time
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia