This is a highly practical workshop aimed at providing RMOs, Registrars and junior trainees with a greater understanding and improved level of competence in the basic techniques required for laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
Only 2 places remaining
This CTEC workshop aims to provide participants the opportunity to gain knowledge of dissection techniques and vessel control, consolidated by practical sessions in laparoscopic colorectal surgical set up, techniques and dissection. It will provide hands-on familiarisation with equipment participants may have received little exposure to in the clinical setting.
It is beneficial for participants to have laparoscopic and suturing experience. Those wishing to increase their experience prior to the workshop are welcome to contact CTEC's Course Co-ordinator to organise free practical sessions in CTEC's Research and Skills Practice Lab.
- Basics of Laparoscopic Surgery I: Ergonomics, entry techniques, trocar and instrument placement and role of the assistant
- Basics of Laparoscopic Surgery II: Dissection principles, vessel control and energy devices (harmonic, ligasure and diathermy)
- Anastomotic Principles: Sutured anastomosis, stapled anastomosis and anastomotic leak and risk factors
- Appendicectomy: Techniques and complications
- Colonic Mobilisation
Practical Sessions Including Use of Animal Tissue and Simulation Models
- Practical Laparoscopy: Appendicectomy model and cholecystectomy
- Demonstration: Bench top stapling including principles of stapling devices and end to end anastomosis
- Laparoscopic Procedural Exercises: Right hemi-mobilisation +/- appendicectomy, left colon mobilisation and laparoscopic ileostomy formation +/- closure
- Practical open exercises: Small bowel anastomosis (hand sewn and stapled) and end-to-end colon anastomosis
- Practical sessions utilising specialised colorectal laparoscopic models with tissue inserts, animal tissue models and laparoscopic simulators
- Didactic sessions
- All meals and refreshments
- Limited places to maximise practical learning time
WA Participant: $865
Non-WA Participant: $910
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Entrance No. 2
Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth Western Australia