This workshop provides Junior General Surgical Trainees and Service Registrars with the opportunity to learn new skills in a range of procedures in minimal access surgery. There are limited places available for Service Registrars with strong laparoscopic experience.
This cadaveric workshop will use a combination of pre-reading, discussion and dissection and will provide participants with the valuable opportunity to practise skills and procedures they may have limited exposure to in the clinical setting. The workshop aims to improve operative knowledge and confidence in commonly performed laparoscopic general surgical procedures. It is of particular relevance to trainees about to commence or in the early stages of a rotation in general surgery.
Each practical session will also focus on the immediate anatomy of the structures operated on and their adjacent structures, broadening and consolidating participants' anatomical knowledge and understanding.
Trainees will deepen their understanding and skills through a combination of presentations, demonstrations and practical cadaveric sessions.
- Entry techniques
- Trocar placement
- Instrument placement
- Role of the assistant
- Dealing with difficult cases: patient with previous surgery; obese patient/lean patient; developing the 3D concept
- Critical points during surgery
- Dealing with an emergency situation - bleeding and intra-abdominal organ injury
Demonstrations and Cadaveric Practical Sessions:
- Trocar Placement
- Laparoscopic appendicetomy
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic extraperitoneal inguinal hernia and choice of mesh
- Fresh frozen human cadaveric dissection
- Didactic sessions
- All meals and refreshments
- Limited places to maximise practical learning time
WA Participants: $1010
Non-WA Participants: $1255
Theatre Nurses: Free of charge - limited places
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia