The Core Skills: Microsurgical Skills for Theatre Nurses workshop offers nurses the opportunity to further their knowledge and gain valuable hands-on practical skills in microsurgery. Nurses assisting with Plastics, ENT, eye surgeries and neurosurgeries may find this workshop particularly relevant.
This highly practical workshop emphasises a team based approach to microsurgical procedures and aims to enhance participant knowledge and skills in setting up for microsurgical cases and anticipating the procedural requirements of the surgeon. It includes optimising situation awareness and instrumentation handling skills using synthetic models.
Practical sessions involve participants working in pairs or independently on a range of microsurgical suture exercises which replicate the surgeon’s clinical requirements. The workshop is designed to increase nurses’ knowledge of the microscope, instruments and the sutures used during microsurgical procedures. Microvascular suturing skills will be honed on synthetic and animal tissue models.
- Set-up and instrumentation
- Technical tips and non-technical skills
- The microscope: trouble-shooting
- Plastics, ENT, eye surgery and neurosurgery set ups and procedures, and key operative points
- Understanding and handling the instruments
- Microscopes and sutures in-depth
- Dealing with problems
- Stitching and assisting
- Practical suturing exercises
- Knot tying
- Hands-on practise on a workshop model
- Synthetic models
- Didactic sessions
- All meals and refreshments
- Limited places to maximise practical learning time
Nurses may claim 7 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points. This educational activity will earn participants a Certificate of Completion for their CPD Portfolio.
WA Nurse: $135
Non-WA Nurse: $165
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia