This practical one day cadaveric workshop is suitable for Trainees in Plastic Surgery. Entirely hands-on, it is designed to increase participant knowledge and the acquisition of technical skills in upper limb flap procedures and tendon/nerve transfers. Limited places are also available for Service Registrars with an interest in Plastic Surgery, and for Theatre Nurses in the role of assistant.
The workshop's morning session will provide participants with exposure to flap procedures of increasing importance in clinical plastic surgery practice. The afternoon session will focus on forearm tendon and nerve transfers. The procedures undertaken will provide participants with a detailed understanding of upper limb clinical anatomy. Each hands-on cadaveric session will feature two participants per station under the instruction of an expert faculty member.
The following sessions feature 100% hands-on content and will be tailored to provide participants with appropriate surgical training for their level of ability and skill set. Each participant will have access to a dedicated cadaveric arm and hand and will benefit from practising procedures in a supportive, authentic clinical environment.
Practical Upper Limb Cadaveric Session - Upper Limb Flaps:
- Hand - Homodigital finger flaps
- Wrist and forearm - posterior interosseous artery flap; radial forearm flap, ulna forearm flap, perforator flaps (propeller)
- Arm - lateral arm flap
Practical Upper Limb Cadaveric Session - Tendon/Nerve Transfers
- Common forearm tendon transfers: ulna, median, radial nerve palsies
- Opponensplasty in median nerve palsy
- Wartenberg correction in ulna nerve palsy
- Standard decompression of the ulna, median and radial nerves
- Anterior interosseous nerve transfer for ulna nerve palsy
- Sensory nerve transfers and others
- Fresh frozen human cadaveric dissection
- All meals and refreshments
WA Participant: $590
Non-WA Participant: $730
Theatre Nurse: Free of charge (limited places)
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Entrance No.2 Hackett Drive
Crawley, Perth, Western Australia