The Core Skills: Vascular Surgery Workshop provides Vascular and General Surgical Trainees the opportunity to learn new skills in a range of vascular surgery procedures. It is a full-day hands on cadaveric workshop with a focus on surgical dissection, with vascular anastomosis on animal tissue. Limited places are available for Service Registrars with strong surgical experience, for Observers and for Theatre Nurses in the role of assistant.
The Workshop’s anatomy-based program aims to provide both Vascular and General Surgical Trainees with an understanding of historical and contemporary surgical techniques, the immediate anatomy of the structures operated on and adjacent structures which may be involved in the event of other co-morbidities or complications. It utilises a combination of pre-reading, discussion and dissection.
Anatomy relating to:
- the neck
- the abdomen
- the femoral triangle
Prior to each procedure there will be an anatomy short session and a brief discussion of specific objectives to be reached.
The following procedures will be demonstrated and performed:
- Exposure of the common carotid artery and its bifurcation +/- patch closure
- Approaches to the infra-renal aorta and its branches
- Aortic grafting
- Vascular exposure in the femoral triangle proceeding to high saphenous ligation and profundaplasty
- Benchtop anastomotic techniques using porcine aorta
- Below knee amputation (subject to availability of cadaveric material)
WA Participant: $1255
Non-WA Participant: $1735
Theatre Nurse: Free of charge - limited places
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Entrance No.2 Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia