The Cutting Edge: Essential Surgical Skills workshop aims to assist the GP and Nurse Practitioner in attaining an improved level of competence in the basic techniques required for minor surgery. This workshop focuses on the most commonly performed procedures. Safety is emphasised as well as the acquisition of one sound technique in each skill area. It features a combination of didactic and hands-on sessions utilising animal tissue and other simulation models.
This workshop is of particular relevance for rural GPs and Nurse Practitioners and to those seeking to refresh procedural skills and to update knowledge. CTEC's The Cutting Edge: Managing Skin and Soft Tissue Injuries workshop is recommended for those GPs seeking to further their skills in more advanced management of acute and chronic injuries.
Presentation and practical sessions:
- Diathermy set up (demonstration)
- Instrumentation - choice, handling and safety
- Knot tying
- Sutures, suturing techniques and suture removal
- Traumatic wounds
- Planning the excision, including sebaceous cysts and mucous membrane wounds
- Punch, incision and excision biopsies.
- Consent procedure
- Understanding wound healing - revision session
- Local anaesthesia
The Australian Government is offering training grants of $2000 per day to rural and remote procedural and emergency medicine GPs to maintain their respective skills. Further information about the grants contact:
RACGP National Rural Faculty
1800 636 764
- Simulation models
- Didactic sessions
- All meals and refreshments
- Limited places to maximise practical learning time
WA Participant: $970
Non-WA Participant: $1015
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
Accreditations or CPD Approvals
The University of Western Australia
Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia