COURSE REGISTRATIONS AVAILABLE NOW! In 2023 and 2024 the GSS Training Course is now offered as 30 comprehensive online presentation sessions over 25 topics, with the current sessions offering now available to participants until 16 February 2024. This extensive training program aims to assist in improving knowledge and understanding and the application of anatomy, physiology and pathology as it pertains to surgical training
- REGISTRATIONS AND MATERIALS AVAILABLE NOW FOR THOSE AIMING TO SIT THE GSSE IN FEBRUARY 2024 -
The next offering of CTEC's GSS Training Course will be offered from 17 February to 17 June 2024 for those junior doctors wishing to sit the GSSE in June.
Please note - all CTEC GSS Training Course participants who do not pass their GSS Exam will receive one free extension pass on the course to the date of the next scheduled RACS GSS Exam.
For example: Participants on the CTEC October to February GSS Training course who do not pass the 14-15 February 2024 GSS Exam will be eligible for gratis access until the 12-13 June 2024 GSS Exam.
Similarly, first time participants on CTEC's 17 February to 17 June GSS Training Course who do not pass the 12-13 June 2024 GSS Exam will be eligible for gratis access until the 9-10 October 2024 GSS Exam.
This extension pass must be coordinated directly with CTEC Senior Course Coordinator Lorna Christie.
Western Australian based junior doctors who wish to complement their online GSS Training Course studies with a face to face CTEC surgical anatomy course utilising prosections are encouraged to undertake CTEC's February to June GSS Training Course. This offering of the GSS Training Course coincides with CTEC's JDocs: Anatomy workshop, offered over Six Saturday sessions from 17 February to 25 May 2024.
About CTEC's Online GSS Training Course
This extensive training program aims to assist in improving knowledge and understanding and the application of anatomy, physiology and pathology as it pertains to surgical training.
The course materials will support study efforts as junior doctors prepare for the RACS Generic Surgical Sciences Exam (GSSE). They are offered over a secure online portal and comprise a combination of first release 2023 presentation sessions by expert faculty, together with presentations recorded in 2022. Participants will have the advantage of unrestricted access to study materials housed in the learning portal for the duration of the course. They will be able to utilise this online resource at their own pace and prioritise areas of learning across the breadth of material covered in the GSSE. Revision modules including MCQs and Question Banks and a mock exam replicating the GSSE will be provided.
October 2023 to February 2024 Online Course Structure & Presentation Faculty
- HPB anatomy and physiology - Professor Jeffrey Hamdorf
- Oesophagus, stomach and spleen anatomy - Dr Ruth Blackham
- Abdominal wall and retroperitoneum anatomy - Dr Anand Trivedi
- Rectum, pelvic floor and anus anatomy - Dr Rhys Filgate
- Upper limb anatomy - Dr Ian Timms
- Lower limb orthopaedic anatomy - Dr Nic Frost
- Neuroanatomy - Dr Rosh Bakmeedeniya
- Small and large intestine anatomy - Dr Rhys Filgate
- Cardiothoracic anatomy - Dr Charles Jenkinson
- Head and Neck Anatomy - Dr Andrew Lindsay
- Urological anatomy and pathology - Dr Robert Davies
- Blood physiology - Professor Catherine Cole
- Reproductive physiology and gynaecologic pathology - Dr Robyn Leake
- Medical statistics - Dr Kevin Murray
- Metabolism and nutrition physiology - Professor Elizabeth Quail and Ms Amber Boyatzis
- Renal physiology - Dr Aron Chakera
- Endocrine anatomy and physiology - Dr Alan Tien
- Cells, nerves and muscles physiology - Dr Dieter Weber
- Cardiovascular physiology - Dr Robert White
- Gastrointestinal physiology - Dr Robert White
- Blood disorders - Professor Catherine Cole
- Genetics - Dr Mark Cruickshank
- General pathology phenomena - Dr Marcus Dabner
- Tissue response to injury - Dr Marcus Dabner
Online Course Inclusions:
- Expert faculty presentations
- Recommended learning materials
- Revision modules including MCQs and Question Banks
- Mock exam replicating the GSSE
The University of Western Australia
Entrance No. 2. Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia