CTEC’s JDocs: Emergency Airways workshop is aimed at developing the skills and knowledge of pre-vocational doctors in dealing with the establishment of an airway by means of a surgical approach. It is designed to enhance knowledge and confidence in often challenging emergency procedures deployed when attempts at a basic airway have failed in the clinical setting.
This workshop is highly relevant for those interested in applying for anaesthetics, ED, ICU and surgical specialties.This one-day hands-on workshop features practical stations including anatomical landmarks, didactic sessions and case studies and discussions. Hands-on sessions are guided by expert faculty and focus on the incisions and percutaneous insertions involved in a surgical airway.
The workshop features content covering relevant criteria from The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons’ JDocs framework. It is specifically designed to meet the essential surgical skills required to apply for specialty training.
Participants will rotate through a number of interactive Animal Tissue and Model Practical Sessions and Presentations.
Chest Drains: Placement and Management:
- Intercostal tube insertion, suturing and drainage
- Needle decompression for tension pneumothorax
- Oxygen delivery and bag mask delivery
- Airway basics and scoping
- Jet insufflation and surgical airway techniques
Surgical Airways: Cricothyroidotomy and Tracheostomy:
- Anatomy landmarks and surgical cricothyroidotomy
- Percutaneous tracheostomy
- Tracheostomy troubleshooting
- Anatomy of airways
- Ward emergency airway manouevres
- Chest drain replacement
- Surgical cricothyroidotomy:
- Physiology of oxygenation/ventilation
- Practical sessions featuring RACS certified techniques
- Practical sessions with animal tissue
- Didactic sessions
- All meals and refreshments
- Limited places to maximise practical learning time
WA Participant: $835
Non-WA Participant: $1190
Interested in applying for SET?
Junior Doctors from across Australia may register interest for CTEC's online 2022 Generic Surgical Sciences Training Course here. This course will be offered as 24 Online Tutorials in 2022, with dates to be confirmed in the near future.
Western Australian based Junior Doctors are welcome to register interest for places opening on CTEC's 2022 JDocs: Anatomy series of workshops here. This is offered as six Saturday sessions, with dates to be confirmed in the near future.
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia