CTEC’s JDocs: Emergency Procedures workshop aims to assist Junior Doctors in attaining an improved level of confidence and hands-on experience in a range of procedures, skills and behaviours for medical and surgical emergencies. This one-day hands-on workshop features content specifically designed to meet the essential surgical skills required to apply for specialty training, and follows the RACS Junior Doctors Curriculum Framework.
This workshop is highly relevant for those interested in applying for anaesthetics, ED, ICU and surgical specialties. This is an excellent introductory level workshop in a supportive environment for participants with limited experience in medical and surgical emergencies.
Cadaveric Arm Practical Session and Presentations:
- Atraumatic tissue management
- Advanced suturing
- Difficult lacerations and skin flaps
- Presentation on atraumatic tissue management, simple lacerations and skin biopsy
Animal Tissue Practical Session and Presentations:
- Access techniques: including EZ IO, arterial line, central venous catheter, nasogastric tubing and Seldinger
- Proctoscopy and rigid sigmoidoscopy including patient positioning, proctoscopy assembly, removal of foreign bodies and digital examination (model)
- Basic ultrasound scanning techniques including ultrasound terminology and definitions, scan planes (sagittal, transverse, oblique) image orientation, patient positioning, generic knobology, image interpretation and cannulation under ultrasound, arterial line and central line and the Seldinger technique
Model Practical Session and Presentations:
- Suprapubic catheter insertion including tube function, indications of safe use, catheter security, catheter complications, urinary catheterisation and male/female catheterisation
- Practical sessions featuring RACS certified techniques
- Fresh frozen cadaveric arm models
- Practical sessions with animal tissue
- Didactic sessions
- All meals and refreshments
- Limited places to maximise practical learning time
WA Participant: $1120
Non-WA Participant: $1695
Interested in applying for SET?
Junior Doctors from across Australia may register interest for CTEC's online 2022 Generic Surgical Sciences Training Course here. This course will be offered as 24 Online Tutorials in 2022.
Western Australian based Junior Doctors are welcome to register interest for places opening on CTEC's 2022 JDocs: Anatomy series of workshops here. This is offered as six Saturday practical sessions, with dates to be confirmed.
Workshop content, date and convenors may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Hackett Drive, Crawley
Perth, Western Australia