Are you involved in the care of obese patients? The number of Australians requiring bariatric care is increasing, and with this additional complications and risks may occur when a bariatric patient is involved.
This multi-disciplinary approach to Bariatric patients workshop will be presented by a team of specialists in the field of surgery, general practice, dietetics and psychology. It will cover common comorbidities associated with obesity, recommendations for referral to specialists and allied health professionals, considerations relating to adolescent and elderly patients, and factors affecting fertility and pregnancy in the perioperative bariatric patient. It will include a balance of didactic sessions and workshops.
Attendees will be encouraged to participate in the interactive sessions which will include a skills workshop, small group discussions and case studies. Presentation content will include case studies, tips and some of the latest techniques relating to the topic.
Dr Ruth Blackham, Senior Lecturer, CTEC, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, UWA
Professor Alistair Vickery, General Practitioner
Highly regarded specialists from across a variety of medical specialities will present interactive sessions on the following:
- Introduction - An Overview and History of Bariatric Surgery in Australia - Professor Jeffrey Hamdorf AM, Director, CTEC, and Professor of Surgical Education, UWA
- The Role of the General Practitioner in Bariatric Care - Dr Carla Drake-Brockman, Bariatric General Practitioner
- Dietetic Considerations - Ms Charlene Grosse, Advanced Accredited Practising Dietitian
- Medical Aspects of Bariatrics - Dr Michael D'Arcy Evans, General Practitioner
- Cases and clinical considerations: - Associate Professor Susan Taylor, General Surgeon and Clinical Associate Professor, UWA
- Pregnancy and Bariatric Surgery
- Thrombo-embolic issues
- Psychology and the Bariatric Patient - Ms Melanie Greenfeld, Psychologist
- Dietetics and the Bariatric Patient - Dr Nikki Cummings, Dietitian
All Doctors: $295 (inc GST)
All Nurses: $245 (inc GST)
All Allied Health Professionals: $245 (inc GST)
All Medical Students: $185 (inc GST)
CTEC PPE & COVID-19 Lab Safety Workshop Strategy
COVID-19 Information for Workshop Participants
Workshop content, date and faculty/convenor may be subject to change or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
The University of Western Australia
Entrance No. 2, Hackett Drive
Crawley, Perth, Western Australia
For more information contact
T +61 8 6488 8044
Work days - Wed, Thurs & Fri.