Research and Skills Practice Lab
The CTEC Research and Skills Practice Lab enables users to develop newly acquired skills or consolidate previously learnt techniques on their own in a safe enviornment.
Who can use the Skills Practice Lab?
- Junior Doctors and Surgical Traineees who have attended entry level laparoscopic skills training workshops and would like to consolidate the fundamental skills required for laparoscopic surgery.
- Attendees of the Introductory Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Workshop
- Endoscopy VR Simulator
- Laparoscopic Practice Trainers
Skills which can be practised
The Endoscopy VR Simulator features an extensive library of modules derived from actualy pateint data and allows the upload of extensive supplemental multimedia content to optimise trainee experience. This computerised simulator can be used tp practice the following skills:
- Bronchoscopy - Broncho Alveolar Lavage (BAL), Transbronchial Needle Aspiration (TBNA), Paediatric Difficult Ariways, Endobronchial Ultrasound
- Upper Gastrointestinal Tract - Esophogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), GI Bleeding
- Lower Gastrointestinal Tract - introductory skills for to sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, polypectomy and biopsy
The Laparoscopic Practice Trainers are suitable for Junior Doctors to practice their hand-eye coordination skills for laparoscopic surgery. The task trainers use the following models:
- Peg transfer
- Pattern cutting
- Ligating Loop
- Intracorporeal suturing
Three hour practice sessions are available Monday to Wednesday 9am - 4.30pm.
For more information:
Senior Course Coordinator
T (0)8 6488 8695